pairs with Woodhall Pinot Noir
Makes 6 sandwiches
½ c mascarpone cheese
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, well drained
2 tablespoons ketchup
½ teaspoon salt
- Mix, then cover and keep chilled until ready to use.
2-pound flank steak- allow to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon ground dark-roast coffee
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix dry ingredients and rum on both sides of the steak
- Sprinkle with olive oil to help the spices to stick
- Grill steak for about 6 minutes per side (125 degrees in thickest part); let rest at least 10 minutes.
Cut 6 ciabatta rolls in half, lengthwise, then grill on cut-side until golden. Spread the rolls with mascarpone spread. Slice the steak thinly then pile on rolls.
Photo by Elizabeth Newman